8 Best AI Grammar Checkers for 2023
Artificial intelligence has been at the forefront of the writing evolution, helping to generate human-like texts and check them for errors, thus enabling us to create flawless content. The importance of error-free writing cannot be overstated, as it can drastically enhance the impact your writing has on your audience. Fortunately, there are several AI-based grammar checker tools available to help you ensure that your writing is impeccable and polished. In this article, we will provide an overview of the eight best AI-based grammar checkers to review your writing for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors. So, read on to get a complete insight into each of them.
|1. Read these Top 100 AI detectable words to ensure your content is optimized for AI detection.|
|2. These 5 best AI paraphrasing tools will probably be able to generate more precise and contextually appropriate rewrites.|
|3. These Top 10+ AI content detection tools offer a range of features such as image recognition, natural language processing, and sentiment analysis to help organizations detect and manage content effectively.|
Comparison Table for Best AI Grammar Checkers for 2023
|AI Grammar Checker||Price||Pros||Cons|
|Quillbot||Free; Paid version starts from $8.33/month||– Free account includes access to 2 paraphrasing modes, Summarizer, Grammar Checker, Co-Writer, and Citation Generator.|
– Free Google Chrome and Google Docs Extensions.
|– The free account only includes two paraphrasing modes, and there is a hard limit of 150 words that can be paraphrased in one go.|
– Does not offer GPT-3 powered AI writing.
|Grammarly||Free; Paid version starts from $12/month||– Easy to use with a clean and simple user interface.|
– Highly accurate and catches most grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes.
– Provides suggestions for improvements in sentence structure, word choice, and readability.
|– The free version has limited features.|
– Pricing can be a bit expensive for some users who do not have a lot of writing needs or are on a tight budget.
|Trinka||Free; Paid version starts from $6.67/month||– Provides tools for document management and auto-formatting manuscripts.|
– Offers citation checker for conducting research.
|– The free plan has a monthly word limit of 10,000.|
– The premium plan offers only two monthly credits for the auto-edit file.
|Ginger||Free; Paid version starts from $4.99/month||– Offers grammar and spelling checking, synonyms, and sentence rephrasing.|
– Trusted by over 8 million users.
|– The free version offers limited feedback.|
– No plagiarism checker.
|Hemingway App||Free; Desktop version costs $19.99||– Offers suggestions on writing style, tone, structure, and formatting.|
– Highlights lengthy and complex sentences, passive voice, and excessive adverbs.
|– Lacks extensive features compared to other grammar checker apps.|
– Doesn’t save your work or provide suggestions on editing complex sentences.
|ProWritingAid||Free; Paid version starts from $10/month||– Offers suggestions for improving style, grammar, and readability.|
– Integrates with multiple platforms and tools.
– Affordable pricing options.
|– Can be overwhelming with too many suggestions at once.|
– May not always provide accurate feedback.
|Sapling||Free; Paid version starts from $25/month||– Customizable dictionary.|
– Supports multiple languages.
– Prebuilt models for specialized fields.
|– Lacks advanced suggestions related to tone and clarity.|
– No plagiarism checker or translator.
|LanguageTool||Free; Paid version starts from $4.92/month||– Supports more than 30 languages.|
– Offers developer API access for software companies and publishing houses.
|– Lacks advanced features.|
– The free version limited to 20,000 characters per check, while the premium limited to 40,000 characters per check.
Quillbot is an AI-powered grammar checker and writing software perfect for students and writers looking to improve their writing. With Quillbot, you can easily eliminate grammar and spelling errors from your writing. The tool is available as soon as you enter the page, and you can simply paste your content to automatically identify and flag any mistakes. Quillbot’s grammar checker is free, and you don’t need to create an account to use it. You can also download Quillbot’s Chrome extension, which is also free, to fix any errors that you may have made when writing online.
In addition to grammar checking, Quillbot also offers other apps and capabilities, such as a summarizer, citation generator, co-writer, plagiarism checker, and translator. With a forever free account, you can access two paraphrasing modes, the summarizer, grammar checker, co-writer, and citation generator. Quillbot’s grammar checker is comparable to Grammarly, and you get unlimited usage with the free account but not much feedback.
- Free account includes access to two paraphrasing modes, Summarizer, Grammar Checker, Co-Writer, and Citation Generator.
- Unlimited usage with the free account; a 100% refund guarantee is applicable for 72 hours.
- Pro subscribers enjoy advanced features and increased limits.
- Free Google Chrome and Google Docs Extensions.
- The free account only includes two paraphrasing modes, and there is a hard limit of 150 words that can be paraphrased in one go.
- Does not offer GPT-3 powered AI writing.
- The paraphrasing output generated by Quillbot often requires manual intervention to tidy up before use.
Grammarly is an AI-powered grammar checker app that offers writers the ability to identify and correct their grammatical errors. It is one of the most widely used grammar checkers and boasts over 30 million users online. Its extension works on almost every platform, including Chrome, Safari, Mozilla, and Microsoft Office. Once installed, the extension highlights all grammar, spelling, tone, and writing style mistakes made in the text. In addition, Grammarly offers a text editor to review documents and provides suggestions on tone, style, conciseness, and punctuation.
Grammarly’s Premium version includes a pro-plagiarism checker, making it the preferred tool for students, writers, and even college professors. Grammarly is available on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis, making it an affordable option for those looking to improve their writing skills.
- Easy to use with a clean and simple user interface.
- Highly accurate and catches most grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes.
- Excellent suggestions for improvements.
- Customizable settings.
- Provides explanations for the corrections made, which helps to learn from mistakes.
- Available in multiple formats, including web-based online grammar checker tool, web browser extension, desktop app, add-on for Microsoft Word, and keyboard for mobile devices.
- Unlimited plagiarism checks with Grammarly Premium.
- The free version has limited features.
- Google Docs integration is still in beta. You’ll need to copy and paste your text into the app to get the full benefit of your premium subscription.
- Pricing can be a bit expensive for some users who do not have a lot of writing needs or are on a tight budget.
Trinka is an AI-driven grammar checker designed to help users improve their writing skills. It has a file-edit API that is equipped with full-fledged tools for writing, making it easier for users to manage documents and auto-formatting manuscripts. With its Style Guide Preference, Subject-specific Corrections, and Contextual Spelling features, Trinka is specially designed to correct grammatical errors for technical and academic writing.
One of the unique aspects of Trinka is its auto-file edit feature, which is not offered by other grammar checkers. Trinka also allows users to personalize their writing experience by creating their own customizable dictionaries. The Trinka premium plan is available at an affordable price of $6.67 per month.
- Easy to use with a user-friendly interface.
- Offers a powerful grammar and spelling checker.
- Provides tools for document management and auto-formatting manuscripts.
- Offers citation checker for conducting research.
- The free plan has a monthly word limit of 10,000.
- The premium plan offers only two monthly credits for the auto-edit file.
Ginger Software is an AI-powered grammar checker tool that can be integrated into various platforms and applications, including web browsers, mobile devices, and desktop applications. It has a full document check feature, API, and personalized practice sessions. Ginger offers a mobile app, Ginger Keyboard, to detect spelling errors in emails, texts, social media posts, etc. The free version is limited to 350 characters, while the paid plans start from $4.99 per month. Ginger has a built-in language tool that provides translations for over 40 languages.
- Offers grammar and spelling checking, synonyms, and sentence rephrasing.
- Supports multiple languages.
- Provides a personal trainer feature for improving writing skills.
- Trusted by over 8 million users.
- The free version offers limited feedback on errors.
- No plagiarism checker is available.
|Recommended: 8 Best AI Business Name Generators|
5. Hemingway App
Hemingway App is a free online grammar checker that aims to improve your writing and make it as clear as the works of Ernest Hemingway. Its basic grammar-checking feature detects spelling, grammar, and writing style errors, including long-winded sentences, passive voice overuse, adverb overuse, and complicated word usage. Hemingway App is easy to use, has a user-friendly interface, and provides recommendations on writing style, tone, structure, and formatting. The desktop version, which offers offline access, WordPress integration, and dark mode, costs $19.99.
- Free online grammar checker with basic grammar checking and readability analysis.
- Offers suggestions on writing style, tone, structure, and formatting.
- Highlights lengthy and complex sentences, passive voice, and excessive adverbs.
- Easy to use with a user-friendly interface.
- Lacks extensive features compared to other grammar checker apps.
- Doesn’t save your work or provide suggestions on editing complex sentences.
ProWritingAid is a reliable AI-based grammar checker that offers more than 20 writing reports, contextual suggestions and explanations, and in-depth feedback on spelling and punctuation errors, style inconsistencies, and unwanted terms, among other features. This tool provides a contextual thesaurus to find suitable words and enables users to create customized dictionaries and style guides.
While ProWritingAid’s free trial is limited to 500 words, it offers an affordable lifetime subscription plan. The tool integrates with many platforms, including MS Word/Outlook, Open Office, Google Docs, and Scrivener. It is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to improve their writing skills, especially for first-time writers who cannot afford paid human editors.
- Comprehensive writing analysis and feedback.
- Offers suggestions for improving style, grammar, and readability.
- Integrates with multiple platforms and tools.
- Affordable pricing options.
- Can be overwhelming with too many suggestions at once.
- May not always provide accurate feedback.
- Some features are restricted to premium subscribers.
The grammar checker Sapling was developed by researchers from Google, Stanford University, and Berkeley University of California. It offers a customizable API that supports multiple languages and prebuilt models for specialized industries like healthcare. The grammar, spelling, and stylistic edits Sapling provides ensure error-free and professional content. The tool’s real-time suggestions, online word counters, and customizable personal dictionaries make it an ideal solution for individuals and teams. Sapling offers a free plan, a pro plan for individuals at $25 per month, and an enterprise plan for teams.
- Supports multiple languages.
- Prebuilt models for specialized fields.
- Lacks advanced suggestions related to tone and clarity.
- No plagiarism checker or translator.
LanguageTool is an open-source AI-powered grammar checker that can fix spelling and grammar errors in over 30 languages, including Spanish, French, German, and Russian. It provides personal dictionary customization and offers developer API access. In addition to its correction function, LanguageTool now provides an AI-powered rephrasing feature that allows users to simplify, shorten, or formalize entire sentences. The tool is simple; its free version has limitations on character count per check. The premium version is available at $19 per month billed monthly, $13 per month billed quarterly ($39), or $4.92 per month billed annually ($59).
- Supports more than 30 languages.
- Has a personal dictionary that can be customized.
- Offers developer API access for software companies and publishing houses.
- Lacks advanced features of other grammar checkers.
- Free version is limited to 20,000 characters per check.
- Premium version is limited to 40,000 characters per check.
|Recommended: 10 Best AI Website Builders for 2023|
Why should I use an AI-based grammar checker?
Using an AI-based grammar checker can help you improve the quality of your writing by identifying and correcting grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. It can also offer suggestions for improving sentence structure and word choice, helping you to communicate your ideas more clearly and effectively. An AI-based grammar checker can save you time and effort by automating the process of proofreading and editing, allowing you to focus on the content of your writing rather than its mechanics.
Can AI-based grammar checkers replace human proofreaders?
While AI-based grammar checkers are powerful tools that can detect many errors and offer suggestions for improvement, they cannot replace human proofreaders completely. Human proofreaders are better at understanding context, tone, and style, and they can identify errors that AI-based tools may miss. However, using an AI-based grammar checker in conjunction with a human proofreader can significantly improve the quality of the final product.
How accurate are AI-based grammar checkers?
AI-based grammar checkers have significantly improved in accuracy over the years, and many of them are now able to detect a wide range of grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. However, they are not perfect and may still miss some errors or suggest incorrect corrections. It is important to use your own judgment and always proofread your writing yourself or have a human proofreader do it for you.
What features should I look for in an AI-based grammar checker?
When choosing an AI-based grammar checker, some key features to look for include accuracy, ease of use, speed, customization options, contextual suggestions, integration with writing software, and support for multiple languages. Other useful features can include plagiarism detection, tone detection, and suggestions for vocabulary and writing style improvement. Ultimately, the features you prioritize will depend on your specific needs and goals as a writer.
With the tech advancements, there are now numerous AI-based grammar checkers available to help you produce error-free content. These grammar checkers can significantly enhance the quality and productivity of your writing by detecting and correcting grammatical errors and spelling mistakes as well as providing suggestions for improvement. While most offer free versions, investing in a pro or premium version will allow you to access more advanced features. However, remember that grammar checkers are not a substitute for a human proofreader or editor. Always use your own judgment and consider having a human proofread your work as a final step. With these considerations in mind, choose the grammar checker that best suits your needs and get started today to improve your writing skills.
Any data, text, or other content on this page is provided as general market information and not as investment advice. Past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future results.
The Trust Project is a worldwide group of news organizations working to establish transparency standards.